Saturday 24 November 2012

Turnham Green, please / Can you tell me the best way to...

This is related to the previous place name jokes and was prompted by living near Turnham Green tube, west London. In those far off days you would often ask for a ticket by just stating your destination at the ticket office. "Turnham Green, please" never seemed to raise other eyebrows but tickled my funny bone every time.

Similarly, over the years Clydesdale and I have got amusement by suggesting variations on the request: "Excuse me, can you tell me the best way to Beckenham?" Frettenham and Pulham (Norfolk) were also sniggerworthy here. Is it just us? OK, she is a Barking woman and her mother later moved a stop beyond so I, indeed we, have always been ready for a cheap laugh on these lines.

Any other giggleworthy names out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment